Flatiron Constructors, Inc./Manson Construction has been awarded the contract to design-build the new I-35 W replacement bridge in Minneapolis. The project is officially called the St. Anthony Falls Bridge Replacement Project. FIGG Bridge Engineers is the bridge design firm on the team. The new bridge will be a prestressed concrete segmental box girder bridge with two different curved pier options.
The prestressed concrete segments for the 504-foot center span can be cast off-site and transported to the bridge site for placement. The bridge will be constructed with high performance concrete to increase its durability. It will also be a “Smart Bridge,” with embedded sensors in the bridge and a comprehensive monitoring system.
Features of the new bridge include:
• 100-year life span
• 10 lanes of traffic, five in each direction – two lanes wider than the former bridge
• 189 feet wide – the previous bridge was 113 feet wide
• 13 foot wide left shoulders and 14 foot wide right shoulders – the previous bridge had no shoulders
• Light Rail Transport-ready which may help accommodate future transportation needs
• Design-build project complete in 437 days
• Designed to be aesthetically pleasing and fit in with its environment
The new bridge is slated to be opened by December 24, 2008.